A Hearty Welcome to Amsterdam

May, 2008

Amsterdam

A Hearty Welcome to Amsterdam



indulgent atmosphere


I was so happy as Larry the moment I touched down Amsterdam. I love this country very much! I was so much looking forward to visit this country though it was already my third time coming here.



Sightseeing was cut down to virtually zero for my first two times. I could still remember I came during winter. The weather was awfully cold and wet. Exactly why, hot chocolate was always my very best drink along.

The weather this time was friendly enough. I felt comfortable walking under the sun on the street. I was clearly struggled with the leaflet from the hotel concierge. The biggest challenge was deciding which place I should first visit.



After much struggle, we decided to visit the windmills in the morning and the Madurodam in the afternoon on the next day. We then had a very good rest after much discussion.Next day early in the morning, I was surprised the moment I drew the curtain. I saw the floor outside the window was wet. I saw the pedestrians walking with their umbrellas along. I saw everybody was wearing thick jackets and their movement was faster compared to the day before. I was upset as things were not better than I could have had wished.



the windmill


Still, whilst weather condition was defeating us to move on, we never let it stopped us getting out and about and enjoying the visit at the windmills and Edam. The rain became heavier when we continued on our bus journey to north of Amsterdam then to the edge of the Zaan river, where we visited the windmills village ‘de Zaanse Schans’.


with its characteristic wooden house





Obviously our plan of going to Madurodam in the afternoon would need to be cancelled. The weather in Amsterdam is always unpredictable. Regardless of how, we should be thankful for the windmill trip. Enjoyed overall! At night, we walked around Dam Square and Red Light District, De Walletjes.


annie, ethan and shufang


Amsterdam has many ‘must-see’ attractions. However, in Amsterdam, there is no guarantee of good weather any time of the year. Plus language problems we will face none in Amsterdam, for almost all people speak English. Amsterdam is always posh, trendy and beautiful to me! It’s my dreamland! Shall come here again!

No comments: